For a while I’ve been wanting to try a baked eggs recipe. Whenever I see them in magazines or cookbooks they look so simple but so tasty; my kind of recipe. This weekend I finally got to test them out on my sister for our Saturday night dinner and they didn’t disappoint! I adapted an Eat Healthy recipe from an old copy of the magazine which I found hanging around.
They turned out great; spicy with nice bites of saltiness from the feta and a touch of sharpness from the Natural yoghurt and lemon juice. I served mine up with a grated carrot, avocado and butter bean salad dressed with a orange juice, olive oil and white vinegar dressing, plus slices of sourdough (my absolute favourite bread, which I need to get round to making after the success of my flatbreads!). The salad complimented the baked eggs perfectly and I will definitely be making the dish again; even just for a weekday dinner as its quick,easy and creates minimal mess!
1 small white onion
1 clove of garlic
Pinch of chilli flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3tbsp natural yoghurt
zest of half a lemon
juice of half a lemon
1. Finely dice the onion and then fry until soft with a couple of tbsp of olive oil
2. Once the onions are soft, add the garlic, chilli flakes and ground cumin. Fry for 2-3 mins.
3. Add in the Spinach in batches, allowing each batch to wilt down. TIP: Make sure the spinach is completely dry if you have had to wash it first, otherwise you’ll end up with a watery mess at the bottom of your pan.
4. Mix in the natural yoghurt, the lemon juice and zest and then divide evenly between two ceramic dishes.
5. Crack and egg into each dish and then crumble feta over the top.
6. Place in the oven at 180c for around 10mins. TIP: In order to make sure the yolk isn’t over cooked take the eggs out a bit before the whites look completely cooked. They will continue to cook slightly once they have been taken out of the oven.
Just serve with your choice of salad and some slices of sourdough. Healthy, tasty and filling!